HEH CIVIL PARTNERSHIPS
Bridge & Concrete Construction
Cairns Southern Access Cycleway
Key Capabilities: Bridge & concrete infrastructure
Location: White Rock, North Queensland
Client: Department of Transport and Main Roads (DTMR) & Queensland Rail (QR)
Duration: 75 weeks (2021/2023)
About the project:
This significant project involved the final connection of Cairns Southern Access Cycleway to the Edmonton to Gordonvale Stage 4 project. This project was constructed within the major Southern Access services corridor which involved existing trunk communications, power, and water mains.
More about this project:
Extensive service location and surveying was required to assist with the final design, planning, and programming of major service relocation works. In addition, all works were conducted within the Queensland Rail corridor requiring strict compliance with Queensland Rail standards.
- Development of Public Utility Plant (PUP) Management Plan
- Management of PUP relocation works for Telstra/NBN assets
- Construction of 5.6km of high-speed cycleway
- Bridge construction (bored piers)
- Multiple culvert structures/concrete works
- Waterway diversion works
- Management of work operations within rail corridor/danger zone
- Traffic management
- Working within live Queensland Rail operations corridor meant that all relevant personnel undertook Railway Industry Worker Competencies and Track Lock Out Accreditation.
- HEH Project Management Team attended all Queensland Rail design/risk assessment workshops to assist with the delivery of the project.
- Management of contaminated material (hydrocarbons/asbestos) required strict testing regimes, onsite storage procedures and transportation to off-site facility.
- Working within high density residential area with multiple school locations required extensive community consultation and engagement.
- Complex traffic management strategies to ensure safe workplaces for all personnel and the traveling public.
- Significant conflicts between existing services and new design required a collaborative working relationship with clients to achieve a successful redesign.
- Bridge construction adjacent to major railway line and high school.